Basic Rules of Texas Hold'em
- Player is seated at the table with a minimum buy-in. There should be at least 2 players at the table to start a game. One player acts as a dealer and the dealer button rotates clockwise after every hand.
- The two players to the left of the dealer are the small and big blind, respectively. They post small and big blinds.
- Cards are dealt to each player. These cards are known as hole or pocket cards.
- The first betting round begins with the player sitting immediately to the left of the big blind, and continues clockwise. Betting takes place on the basis of the players hand strength before the first three community cards i.e. “Flop” is dealt.
- When the first betting round is completed, three community cards are flipped face up on the table. This is called the flop.
- After the Flop the second round of betting begins with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting resumes, clockwise.
- After the second betting round, a fourth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the turn.
- The third betting round begins with the first remaining player sitting to the left of the button. The betting moves clockwise, with the bets doubling on the turn.
- When the third round of betting is over, a fifth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the river.
- The final betting round takes place with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting continues to move clockwise.
- After completing all the four betting rounds there is a showdown of cards and the player with the best five card winning poker hand wins the pot.